Quick fact sheet to support crediting nitrogen from legume crops.
- Nitrogen (N) credits from legumes are part of the Right Rate in 4R nutrient management.
- Alfalfa, clovers, soybeans and dry beans can contribute all or part of the N needs of the following crop.
- Legume residue has a high N content that will be release in the following cropping season.
- Ignoring N from a previous legume crop may result in over-fertilization.
- A preplant soil test will not detect N from a previous legume crop.
- Legume crediting can be combined with other BMPs such as in-season soil testing or crop sensors to fine-tune N application rates.