- 1 Irrigation Scheduler
- 1.1 User Guide
- 1.1.1 Setup
- 1.1.2 Analysis
- 1.1.3 Post Analysis
- 1.1.4 References
- 1.1 User Guide
Welcome to WISE, the Water Irrigation Scheduler for Efficiency. Produced by researchers at Colorado State University in cooperation with growers across the state of Colorado, WISE was made to make irrigation scheduling both convenient and as cost-effective as possible. Maximize crop yield and minimize excess irrigation in just a few easy steps. See the User Guide below for more information.
First time using the eRAMS Irrigation Scheduler? No worries!
Follow the steps below to get familiar with the tool, draw a crop field, and even generate a crop schedule in five minutes or less. You’ll be a pro in no time!
Create a New User
- Click on the “Sign Up” link at the topright corner of the Home screen.
- Enter your required and optional user information and click “Create Account.”
Create an Irrigation Project
- On the left hand side of the page, click on the “Projects” box.
- When the Projects page opens, click on “Create Project.”
- Enter a name for your project, such as “My Irrigation Project.”
- Under “Project Type,” select “Irrigation.”
- Click “Okay.”
Open the Map
- From the navigation menu (displayed across the top of your screen), Click on “GIS/Analysis.” (Note: ensure that the correct project is selected by looking at the name in the top right corner. To select a different project, click on the name of the project.)
Create a Crop Field
- On the left side of the screen, you will see two tabs: “Map” and “Field.”
- Use your mouse wheel or the zoom tool above the map to zoom to a particular location on the map.
- To use the zoom tool, click on the zoom tool button then click and drag your mouse across the map. Once you let go of your mouse, the map will zoom to the extent of the box that was previously drawn.
- Hover over the “Draw” button which is located below the “Select Field” dropdown box.
- Select “Draw Circle,” “Draw Polygon,” or “Import.”
- For a polygon, draw your crop field by making successive clicks on the map at each corner of your crop field. Double click to complete.
- To draw a circle, click and hold your mouse in the center of the circle you wish to draw, then drag your mouse to the perimeter of the circle. Release your mouse to complete.
- Provide a name for your crop field in the dialog box that appears, such as “My Alfalfa Field,” and click OK.
View Weather Stations
Weather stations may have already been collected for your crop field, but if not you can use the following steps to find weather stations nearest your crop field.
- Click on the “Weather Stations” panel below the “Field” tab on the left side of the screen, if the panel has not already been opened.
- Click on the “Search” icon to find closest applicable weather stations for your crop field. (Note: currently only Colorado CoAgMet and NCWCD weather stations exist).
- Click on a weather station to see it on the map.
- Click on the “Zoom to Full Extent” button to see all of the weather stations displayed on the map
- Hover your mouse over a weather station marker on the map to see details about the weather station.
Activate or Deactivate Weather Stations
- Activate or deactivate a weather station in the left column by clicking on the power button that appears next to a weather station name when you hover your mouse over the station.
View Weather Data for a Weather Station
- Click on a weather station in the list of search results
- From the popup box displayed on the map that represents this weather station, click “See Current Weather”
Set Crop Field Attributes
- Click on the “Set Up/Modify” button in the “Field” tab on the left hand side of the screen
- Enter a Crop Type, Planting Date, and Emergence Date for your crop field in the dialog that is displayed
- Click “Update” on the bottom right corner of the dialog box
- Click “Done”
View Irrigation Schedule
- Click on the “Schedule” button in the “Field” tab on the left hand side of the screen
- A summary of your crop field’s irrigation needs, as well as a table and graph of irrigation scheduling results can be viewed by clicking on their corresponding tabs
Enter Your Own Rain or Irrigation
- Click on the “Table” tab in “Crop Irrigation Schedule” dialog box.
- Double click on one of the gray boxes under the Rain, Irrigation, or observed soil deficit columns. A text box will appear allowing you to enter a value. Type in .5 and hit “Enter” on your keyboard.
- Click on the “Update” button to save this updated value to your irrigation schedule.
View Schedule Graphs
- Click on the “Graph” tab in “Crop Irrigation Schedule” dialog box. A graph of plant available water will appear to display a visual representation of your schedule.
- Click on the “Select Graph” dropdown box on the right hand side of the “Crop Irrigation Schedule” dropdown box. Select the “Management Allowed Depletion” graph.
- Click on the “Export” button. Select print or export into Excel to display the report for your crop irrigation schedule for the crop field associated with the crop irrigation schedule.
Transition to the Next Growing Season
The WISE Irrigation App
eRAMS is also available on the iTunes App Store. Download the app here and watch the tutorial below to get started.